Directory of Poison Control Centers
identifies many plants as either poisonous or safe. Please use it as a guide and
be aware that it is not a complete listing.
Plants are a
leading cause of poisoning to pre-schoolers. Children are often attracted to
their colorful berries, fruits and leaves. But over 700 plants in the United
States and Canada have been identified as poisonous. If eaten, some plants can
cause a skin rash or stomach upset. Others can even cause death.
If you have
young children, its a good idea to take plant inventory and substitute
safe plants for poisonous ones. Fortunately, most plant poisonings can be
prevented. Here are some tips:
which plants are poisonous. For help, check with your library, local garden
and florist shops, arboretums and university botany departments.
young children away from all plants. Eating too much of even a safe
plant can make a child sick.
all poisonous plants from the area.
supervise children closely around plants.
children not to put plants, fruits an berries in their mouths.
There is no
easy rule of thumb to tell a poisonous plant from a safe one. If uncertain,
always consult an authority.
If you think
your child may have swallowed any part of a poisonous plant, first remove any
remaining pieces from your childs mouth. Then bring your child and a piece of
the plant to the phone and call the Poison Control Center nearest you.
Bird of Paradise
Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac
Tung Oil Tree
of the Statewide Comprehensive Injury Prevention Program of Massachusetts and
the American Red Cross. All Rights Reserved in all Countries.