SAFE AND POISONOUS PLANTS
of Poison Control Centers
This list identifies many
plants as either poisonous or safe. Please use it as a guide and be aware
that it is not a complete listing.
Plants are a leading cause of poisoning to pre-schoolers.
Children are often attracted to their colorful berries, fruits and leaves. But
over 700 plants in the United States and Canada have been identified as
poisonous. If eaten, some plants can cause a skin rash or stomach upset. Others
can even cause death.
If you have young children, it’s a good idea to take
“plant inventory” and substitute safe plants for poisonous ones.
Fortunately, most plant poisonings can be prevented. Here are some tips:
which plants are poisonous. For help, check with your library, local garden
and florist shops, arboretums and university botany departments.
- Keep young
children away from all plants. Eating too much of even a “safe” plant
can make a child sick.
- Remove all
poisonous plants from the area.
supervise children closely around plants.
children not to put plants, fruits and berries in their mouths.
There is no easy rule of thumb to tell a poisonous plant
from a safe one. If uncertain, always consult an authority.
If you think your child may have swallowed any part of a
poisonous plant, first remove any remaining pieces from your child’s mouth.
Then bring your child and a piece of the plant to the phone and call the Poison
Control Center nearest you.
Bird of Paradise
Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac
Tung Oil Tree
Courtesy of the Statewide
Comprehensive Injury Prevention Program of Massachusetts and the American Red
Cross. All Rights Reserved in all Countries.